Tuesday 14 January 2014

Blogs And Why To Write Them

I was going to entitle this 'and how to write them', but I thought that would seem a little too vain.

Now before you ask, yes - this is London related. But yes, I have another blog it would be a more suitable a post for, but I have a very specific system with that blog, and the next post needs to be a story update. And I can't think of one. So here's my heavily London-based blog post about blog posts!

I'm writing this for two reasons:
  1. Mrs. Dindorf's classes at Leipzig International School. They're studying writing styles, and apparently 'blog' is a style of writing. Fascinating! What's more, they've been looking at this very blog as an example! This should be a treat for you lot, then. I'm taking the whole teaching element out of my mother's hands and presenting it to you in a fun, easy-to-read format. Granted, if I remember my mother (which I do) this is how many of her classes are presented anyway, so you can begin to see the family resemblance.
  2. Jake Hamish Frinkman Harvey Clive Rundle III, Esq. Because although that may not be his real name, he needs some convincing on how useful blogging can be.
So, with the recent extinction of the ado (*ba dum, tsh*), let us begin.

What is a blog?

This is. Duh.

Why should I write one?

A good question, perhaps you should spend some time thinking about it. Write down any thoughts you come across during this process. In fact, write them somewhere public, somewhere where you'll never lose them and where you can share them with people at will.

But what would I write about?

Did you completely skip the last question? Go back and read it again. Then skip this question.

No, seriously, what goes into a blog?

Whatever you want. Or don't want. Most often a mixture of both. I have a simple mindset when I blog: expect everyone in the world to read it. Of course, in reality very few people will read your blog, and that's fine because the people who do read it want to do so. The most important rule, though, is don't ever assume something isn't worth reading. No matter how mundane the subject, you know you can make it sound freaking epic.

It's a good idea to have a theme for a blog, be it poetry, trying to organize otherwise random thoughts, murder and deduction, or baking, a blog can be about anything you have to say. Even if you have nothing to say. Write snippets. Jot down ideas. Come back in a year and read them over, add to them, and abandon them again - websites are a lot harder to lose than a piece of paper.

Fine, you've made your point. How do I start?

The all important realization that I'm right question. I recommend this. Blogger. It's simple, straightforward and run by Google so if you've already got Gmail then you've got a Blogger account. The design tools mean you can pick from a pre-determined selection of images (such as the one you're looking at now) or upload your own. The writing and editing section is the same as writing on Word, but makes doing things like THIS a lot simpler. You'll have already clicked on the various links I've been plugging, inserted just as easily with a couple of button-clicks, you get the idea.

That's more or less all I can think to say on the matter. If you have any questions, leave them in the comments and I'll do my best to reply one way or another.

Best of luck with your own blogs, minions!

No comments:

Post a Comment