Tuesday 13 August 2013

Ended Up Being A Rather Relaxed Day

Well it is often said that the best layed plans of mammals small and large often end up veering from their original goal. Day 1 in London seemed to prove this proverbial rule. Not that anything went wrong.

The day started early. Far too early for my liking, but the option to choose when my lift to the station - Charlotte's dad - would leave the house was not in my hands. As such we arrived in Seven Sisters around 8am and fortunately had managed to contact an occupant of a flat which had advertised a cheap room in the area. I was instantly taken with the warehouse flat/commercial circus space, with its slightly dilapidated appearance, very hungover but still incredibly friendly (especially for such an ungodly hour) occupants which include two cats.

The room is being 'built' this weekend - a real brick wall is being put up, rather than the current makeshift divide comprised of bookshelves and curtains, so moving in may be slightly delayed.

After that we met the ever-wonderful James for a late breakfast at Starbucks before I had to dash off to my first interview of the day, with a recruitment agency, Evolution Recruitment working on behalf of Shelter. It was an informal interview with me, two other applicants and an agency worker. It didn't exactly fill me with hope or inspiration, but that's probably for the better.

After lunch in a park and arranging a 4pm room viewing in Stratford I headed to my second interview at Home Fundraising. I knew nothing about them and assumed they were another recruitment agency, but it quickly became evident that there were quite a few differences. First off, they knew how to engage with the room of 11 interviewees and how to learn almost everything about us within about 10 minutes. The whole thing took about an hour and a half, so by the time I got out my phone was dead and there was no chance of getting to the last room viewing. So we went shopping.

The highlight of the day was the evening at the theatre, seeing my good friend Martin Barass perform in One Man, Two Governors alongside Rufus Hound. A tremendous show, but I shall save reviews for a different blog. When its been written, you'll be able to find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment