Saturday 12 October 2013

What Would You Do If You Won The Lottery?

I heard a man ask his girlfriend this on a tube escalator the other day, and I think its one of those conversation topics which bind us as humans. It combines the thrill of gambling with the joy of winning and then plays on an inherent fear of the future. I've had the conversation many a time, and the answer is always changing. Some topics will never be ignored - the house in one place, the flat in another, the charitable donation, the paying back the parents for all of their time which eventually got you to this miraculous windfall, but its once you get past the cliches that you really learn about a person.

For me, at this stage in my life, I would have a house in York; a flat in London; a donation to charities including (bit not limited to) the WWF, the RSPB, the Samaritans, and Cancer Research; buy my parents a house in Germany (or somewhere else if they preferred); and then I would put myself through a year of drama study, offer some money to my brother to help him (and my parents) pay for his university degree, put some into businesses friends of mine are starting up (provided I get a share of the business in return) and then go on holiday with whatever I have left. Hopefully the drama education would allow me to earn a living doing what I love, the house in York could be rented out to students or friends, and the business returns would mean I had more to play with on the investment market. Overall I don't put a lot of thought into these things, but I always have the dream at the back of my mind.

Not that I play lotto since they doubled the ticket price.

No comments:

Post a Comment