Thursday 21 November 2013

Gay Flu

Don't take offence, I just can't resist puns sometimes. The title is in reference to Flu Camp (get it?) which I heard about only today - not surprising since I've only been in London for a matter of months - but I heard about it from two completely unrelated people in two absolutely different environments.

So what is it? Well I'll stick a link here, but if you just want my take on it, then as follows:

Hey You!

Yes, YOU!

You look cash-strapped, young, and willing to do more or less anything for a quick buck? How about if we told you that you could PLAY VIDEO GAMES all day and still be earning money, and nobody would tell you not to! You wouldn't even HAVE to play the games, its OPTIONAL! All you have to do is get sick for a couple of weeks! Easy as that!

So that's my understanding of it. Sort of. Actually I know a lot more than that cause I read the entire website meticulously, so here's an honest understanding of what they're asking and offering.

Its medical research into respiratory viruses, such as cold and flu. If you pass their health screening, you're invited to partake in their studies. Because of the nature of the viruses, all participants are quarantined, but not in the classing 90's big tent and radiation suit kind of way (well, actually, from what I've heard everyone who comes in is dressed like an astronaut, but that's understandable), more in the here's a studio living space fully equipped with WiFi, flatscreen TV, choice of video games consoles (and games) and DVDs, you also get three square meals a day (more on that in a second) and all you have to do is allow us to give you the flu. Oh and you could be compensated with up to £3,750.

Hold on a second what was that last bit? £3,750? For 10 - 14 days in what is essentially a man-den? And all I have to do is get the snuffles? Where do I sign up?! (Funny you should ask, just click the aforementioned link!)

And I did say I would expand more on the food thing, amusingly in the testimonials section of the website, this is the second one down:
Plenty of food, variety and good choices.JOSHUA, AGED 21, LONDON
This is number 4:
The food had wide variety and good quality. Staff made time more relaxed and fun – very kind and caring.ALICE, AGED 22, BRIGHTON
And a few comments later:
Best food so far on any study. Thanks for a very enjoyable and comfortable time. Will recommend to all my friends
MICHAEL, AGED 28, LONDON 
Who do they have cooking for them? I must taste these delicate dishes which seem to have amassed their own fame, rivalling the medical staff!

On a serious note, I've had the flu once before. I think it was last year. Honestly I was so utterly delirious for about 3 days I can't even remember when they happened. So having experienced how my body handles it, and being offered almost £4000 to go through that again, I would be absolutely overjoyed to make a contribution to science. Lets put this in perspective. £3,750 could pay my rent for 9 months*. And still leave me with change. It could pay my average tube travel for the next 5 years**. Hell I could actually live comfortably on that kind of money for the next four and a half months, including all my expenses. It is almost enough to be life-changing for someone in my situation.

So there's only one question left, really. Who's going to camp this year?

*Based on my rent payments of £410pcm.
**Based on the daily Oyster PayG Zone 1-3 Off-peak travel cap of £5.10.

No comments:

Post a Comment